Thursday, March 17, 2011

Watercolor on canvas Follow-up

Yesterday I talked about the Schmincke Aqua primer that you use on canvas and other hard surfaces, allowing you to paint with watercolors. Well I think this is really good stuff. I painted two thin coats on a 14x18 canvas panel and let dry. I have used Fredrix watercolor canvas in the past and it's fairly tricky to use meaning you can  disturd a layer of paint real easy if you want to glaze over, so you have to get used to it, and I want to say that I have had some really nice results. Now, with the Aqua primed canvas first thing I notice while putting in a sky wash...you have to determine the angle you have your canvas because if it is angled much, the paint will run. So if you want the paint to stay where you put it, the panel has to be flat. This was somwhat of a problem, but on the ther hand I could steer the paint where I wanted it to go, and most of you who have watcched me paint, know that I paint pretty wet. The thing I liked about the primed canvas was the paint did go on as I expected not as the Fredrix panels did, also when I darkened an area, I didn't get the brush strokes that the Fredrix left. The really great thing I found was that you could lift color out verrrry easy, leaving sharp edges. I did this with a tissue not paper towel and just blotted. Really great for white lines, just paint the area with water and blot. I give this  primer high marks, and  plan to do more.
To finish off the painting I sprayed 2 coats of Krylon Matter Acrylic and now it ready to be framed....No Glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment